Monday, October 19, 2015

Back on the ball!

Happy Monday everyone,
It was great seeing some of you at the Gala on Saturday night. Its always a great time to get together outside of school. A huge thank you to all of you for your support with the Gala Basket, attending the Gala and purchasing items to make our school better for the students.

Fred Penner was great this morning....at least I thought so. I was tapping my hands and dancing around. At one point I was up dancing and my students gave me that look that said "Sit down now, you are embarrassing us." I cant help liking "Puff the Magic Dragon". Sitting there listening to the songs though I must say has reminded me how important they are. Most of the songs he sung where rhyming and he had the students repeat after him, guess the next lyric. It was great.

Just a reminder to you all about the reading packages. Do not forget to log the title of the books that your child is reading. This helps the parent volunteers to figure out what level of book they should have also of what titles they have had already. It also helps me know that you are reading at home and  if I need more leveled books rather then others. Thanks again for returning them on time!

Another note, if your child is taking extra work home to work on, please make sure they use a pencil. It is hard to correct mistakes that are in pen or marker. I am beyond proud of your children who have asked to take work home to get caught up. Bravo!

This week in class in French, the students will be starting to learn Halloween vocabulary and working on little projects centered around the big day. We have started our literacy centers in class and they are going great. This allows me to work with a small group of students on reading strategies while other students are in centers. So far all the groups that I have worked with are over the moon to start learning how to read in French. Some students have even started to volunteer to read to the whole class during our reading period. Its amazing to see how fast some of them are catching on. Please continue to practice at home, your hard work is paying off! We will also be starting our family trees this week, so please be sure to send in those family pictures. Please note we will be cutting them soo do not send in any that you don't want cut up. Please have them in ASAP. I would like to start Wednesday.

Science, the students are starting to learn about their 5 sense as well as the names for body parts in French. In order for your child to become aware of their 5 senses, you can beginning pointing out when they are using the senses in their daily activities. For example, when you are cooking supper, ask them what they think they are having based on what they smell? What do they taste....

In Math, we continue to learn how to represent numbers. We have been practicing associating words to numbers up to 20. I will send home those word bags in the next couple of weeks to practice at home. I will be testing your child in the next couple weeks on number recognition up to 20 out of sequence, oral pronunciation of numbers up to 20 as well as counting forwards and backwards from 1-20. Feel free to practice these skills at home.

In English, students continue to learn letter sounds in English. We have been focusing on finding the rhyming words in books. This week in class we will take a look at the beginning sounds of words as well as ending sounds. This is a perfect way to review sounds and the beginning of decoding words.
I will be randomly picking students this week to go over their English site words on their paint chips. Please be sure to review with your child.

This week in school we have a guest speaker chatting to us all the way from my home in PEI. John Connolly who is a good friend of mine and my husbands will be speaking to the children about his play that he has wrote, produced about Terry Fox. He tried to present the day of the Terry Fox run but we had technical difficulties. He is fabulous and is supper talented. I will attach a link to his website so you can read more on him if it interests you as well as one of his song. This is the song he sang as I walked down the isle.

http://johnconnolly.ca/

Thought Id give you a pick to go along with the song lol.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdH_fP4ZHic  - Here you are- John Connolly

I will leave you with that! Have a great week everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment