Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Snow, snow,snow and more snow!

Hello all,
I think winter has finally hit ! That being said please make sure to dress your child for the weather conditions. If you would like to send extra mitts and socks in a plastic zip lock bag with your child's name on it I can keep them here in class for when they need them. They could also just keep them in their back packs.
December is upon us and with that a new theme. Can you guess what we are going to learn about? That's right everything to do with Christmas. We are going to write letters to Santa, make Christmas cards for Seniors (more about that later), sing lots of Christmas songs and chat about Christmas traditions.
In math we have started to look at addition and subtraction from 1-20. We are mainly focusing on the addition part at the moment but I encourage you all to practice subtraction because that is the one that tends to take a little longer to catch on.
I would like to ask you all to send in a glass mason jar  or jam jars in the next couple of days. I would like to do a craft with them, so if you could do so before next week that would be great!
We will be working on Christmas cards over the next couple of week and some small crafts to deliver to seniors who might not otherwise get something this time a year. I like to think of it as adopting some new grandparents. I have done this in the past and the students enjoy doing it. One year I even had a student and her mother and sister come join me at a local manor in my home town. The seniors loved seeing her and she brightened their day by showing off her dance moves. We got to personally hand deliver the cards. I will check to see if I can do the same thing here and if any of you would like to join me just let me know.

I have another Christmas project that I tend to do each year with the students. At home we have the CBC Turkey Drive, which collects turkeys to donate to those in need during the holiday seasons. Each year with my grade one class we collect pennies and sell candy canes at the Christmas concerts. As a class we count and roll the pennies, which is great for math class. (counting one to one, making groups of 10, counting by 10.)With all the money collected ,we meaning me and my father, head out and buy a bunch of turkeys. My dad usually picked them up, brought them to school where I had the salvation army pick them up. I made sure that the students personally hand deliever the turkeys. this way they get to see what their hard work has accomplished and they get the sense of giving back. i usually start near the end of November to collect pennies. unfortunately we no longer have pennies so i was thinking maybe collecting nickles. Would you all be willing to support our class to take on this project? If so it would be great if we could start as soon as possible. I will chat with the students about it on Thursday or Friday once I hear back from all of you. I would also need some volunteers to help sell the candy canes at both of the showings of the Christmas concert. I hope to hear your thoughts on this project.
Our Christmas concert is next week.....EEEKKK we need some serious practice. I sent home the song yesterday for you to go over at home. I will include the link as well to help them practice the song and the rhythm. They day and night of I ask you to dress your child in white.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0J1yO7Kd14&oq=noel%20ces&gs_l=youtube..0.5j0l2j0i10l7.1169775.1172582.0.1174027.8.8.0.0.0.0.115.564.7j1.8.0.eytns%2Cpt%3D-30%2Cn%3D2%2Cui%3Dlr.1.0.0...1ac.1.11.youtube.hsJrJs40ol4

Here is one with just the music and the words. Kareokee style.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWEmnFYMVQU

I did finally get the xylophones. We practiced a little today but I am not all that sure they will make an appearance at the Christmas concert...we shall see.

I hope the reading is going well at home. Let me know if you would like any more books sent home. it was great to see you all at parent teachers. Anytime you need anything let me know.
Thats all for now....be safe and remember to hug those you love!
Laurie Anne

Reminders:
Advant Liturgie Dec 6 at 2pm- All welcomed
Special lunch- lemon grass Dec 6
Library Friday

No comments:

Post a Comment