Monday, September 11, 2017

Welcome to the exciting world of grade 1!!

Welcome to grade one! For those of you who have had me before welcome back. I look forward to getting to know all of you over the next couple of months and watching your child grow both academically and socially. We are off to a good start. Everyone is adjusting well and are getting along super....perhaps a little to well, we got a chatty bunch. We continue to review class rules and expectations. We have 23 students in our class this year, 10 boys and 13 girls. We also have 5 new students to Holy Name school. I like to see our classroom as a little community were we all work together as a team. I have an open door policy, which means you can come into class anytime. We love having parents volunteer and help out whenever you can. Even if you cannot make it into the classroom there is always something you can do to lend a hand and enrich your childs classroom.

For those who are new to the school or have never had me as their child's teacher I will give you the quick run down on who your child will be hanging out with over the next couple of months. I am originally from PEI. I talk a lot about home, my dad and growing up on a hobby farm as a kid. I apologize now for the accept that your child may develop over the weeks to come I still haven't lost it even though I have been in Alberta for about 6 years now. This is my 5th year in grade 1 at Holy Name, I also taught grade two at Holy Name and taught grade 1 in PEI for a couple of years before heading out west. I got married two years ago to Mike, who I am sure you will hear of or even get the chance to meet. He is very helpful around the classroom and is supportive of my projects. As I am sure you all know by now we are expecting our first child in January. We are very excited and nervous all at the same time. Until the little nugget arrives I hope to work closely with all of you and your child. If you ever have any questions, concerns or need clarification on anything feel free to contact me either by email or call the school.

Some of the teachers like to use eboard, I prefer the blog which is somewhat the same but with a little more detail. You can find the link to it on eboard which is on the school website. I usually email you informing you that there is a new post, along with the quick link. I try to post an update ever  Monday to keep you informed on what's going on in class and what is happening at school for the week. I hope you read it every week as there is a lot of information, suggestions and games that you might want to try out at home to help your child progress through out the school year...it also takes me a long time to sit down and write! I am usually really good at keeping it up dated but then will have my moments, stay on me! Feel free to remind me also...I seem to be very forgetful these past couple of months.

At the beginning of each month I also like to give you the run down on what your child will be learning that month in most subjects. This is also a great way to help you support your child by giving them an introduction to what we are going to be covering. On the blog you will find weekly sight words in both English and French, sounds of the week, French sentences and expressions we are working on. Please take the time to review with your child. There is also a list of French websites you can explore with your child and play games. http://ici.radio-canada.ca/jeunesse/jeregarde/ is a great website to watch French cartoons, to help your child develop listening skills in French. They also have games to play.
I sent home today green sheets that explain a little more about our classroom. Please read over and if you have any questions let me know.

The month of September is busy here are a few reminders of events and items due coming up....

All forms are due back Monday September 11 (demographic, blue package, pink child info sheet)
Scholastic book orders for Sept due -Wednesday September 13
Conference Manager opens to book Parent Teachers- September 15
Opening Mass at Holy Name Church- Thursday September 21   ( We need 3 volunteers to walk with us)
Parent Teachers- Thursday September 21 evening and Friday September 22 full day.
Parent Reading information night- Monday September 25- 7pm at the gym. Please bring a post dated check of 15$ as deposit. Check to be dated June 18th, 2018

This year I am going to try something new in regards to volunteers in the classroom. Usually I ask a week or two in advance, but thought hey I know what I would like to do why not get ahead. So please find a list for the next two months of volunteers needed in the classroom. I am sure I will need to add possible fieldtrips other things that may come up but I thought I would start with this. Some of them are just ideas I would like to try out in class and see if it will work, I marked those I have never done before with **. If you have any ideas also that will go along with our themes let me know. If you need more clarification on what I am asking of you just ask.

For year:
Reading Package Exchange (2-3 volunteers)-
( I suggest at least two people, that way if one cannot make it one week the other can cover the exchange)
Scholastic packages(put monthly book orders together)-
September-
Making playdoh , focus mixing colors (parent lead)-
**Science- colors experiment parent choice (parent lead)-
Opening Mass( 3 volunteers to walk to Church and back)-


October-

Pumpkin carving (3 parents)-

**Apple crisp (make with class, focus reading recipe)-
Halloween centers/party (parent lead, 5 volunteers)-
**Thanksgiving potluck organizer in class lunch-
Reading French Week 1-
Reading English Week 2-
Reading French Week 3-
Reading English Week 4-


I know this is a long post with ALOT of information. It has actually been a week of information. I hope its not too much and if you have any questions just ask. I also apologize for the late post.
Have a great week!
LA
 




No comments:

Post a Comment