Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Welcome to Grade one!

Hi Everyone,
Bienvenue en premiere annee! I am so happy to have your child this year in my class. We are off to a great start. Everyone seems eager to learn and so far no one has asked me when it is time to go home yet! We are still getting to know each other and are working on developing class routine and rules. We have 21 students in grade one this year, 11 boys and 10 girls.

I have had the pleasure of teaching some of your children before so you know how I roll...for those of you who do not know me here is a little snippet of who will be teaching your child this year. This is my 5th year at Holy Name and my 6th year teaching grade one! I am proudly from PEI and go home every chance I get. Before moving to Calgary I taught on the island for two years at the same school I went to as a child. I got married last summer to my husband Mike, which I am sure you will meet or hear about. I absolutely love teaching this age group! Everyday is a new adventure and the progress you see over the course of the year is amazing. I like to think of us as a team and we need to support each other. If you ever need anything or have any questions do not hesitate to contact me. You can do so through email or by calling the school.

I use this blog rather than eboard. You can find the link to it on eboard though which is on the school website. I usually email you informing you that there is a new post. I try to post an update ever  Monday to keep you informed on what's going on in class and what is happening at school for the week. I hope you read it every week as there is a lot of information, suggestions and games that you might want to try out at home to help your child progress through out the school year...it also takes me a long time to sit down and write! I am usually really good at keeping it up dated but then will have my moments, stay on me!

At the beginning of each month I also like to give you the run down on what your child will be learning that month in most subjects. I will post that next week. On the blog you will find weekly sight words in both English and French, sounds of the week, French sentences and expressions we are working on. Please take the time to review with your child. There is also a list of French websites you can explore with your child and play games. http://ici.radio-canada.ca/jeunesse/jeregarde/ is a great website to watch French cartoons, to help your child develop listening skills in French. They also have games to play.


 I hope that your child is adjusting well to the new routine. I know some of them must have seemed a little tired when they got home, seeing that they are not use to a full day of school. You will notice them adjusting a little better in the coming months. It is important that they get their rest, because it can be tiring learning a new language.
A few reminders for the week:
-Please pass in the information package that was sent home last week.
-Welcome back gathering is on Thursday after school- Please introduce yourself!

That's all for this week. Have a great week everyone.
Laurie Anne :)

No comments:

Post a Comment